Skip to main content


The primary sources of funding for graduate students at UOIT will be teaching assistantships, research assistantships and/or graduate research assistantships. These are available to both Canadian and international students. Normally, funding will not be provided to part-time students and/or students in professional programs (graduate diploma programs, MBA, MBA-MITS, MEd, MEng, MEngM, MITS).

These sources of funding are usually established in an offer of admission and are administered by the student's faculty office. General questions can be directed to Specific questions should be directed to the appropriate graduate program director.

Teaching assistantships

Teaching assistantships (TAships) are assigned to qualified full-time graduate students. These positions give students valuable teaching experience and enable them to build rewarding relationships with students and professors. Teaching assistants (TAs) are assigned courses upon arrival to campus. The specific duties of the position will be outlined upon completion of the TA contract. Payment for being a TA is considered a salary.

Research assistantships

Research assistantships (RAships) are employment opportunities that require students to conduct work on a professor's research project. Students are paid for this work from a professor's research grant. The difference between this form of funding and a graduate research assistantship (GRAship) is that students who work as research assistants (RAs) are not paid to conduct research for their own course work, projects or theses. Payment for being a RA is considered a salary.

Graduate research assistantships

GRAships are funds paid to graduate students from research grant funding that has been awarded to a professor. GRAships enable students to conduct scholarly activities directly related to their own course work or to the development of their theses or major projects. The dollar value of these awards will vary. If you change your program, research topic or supervisor, you may no longer receive a GRAship.

Funding eligibility terms and conditions are described in the Graduate Student Funding Terms and Conditions publication.

How will I begin receiving payment for assistantships?

Graduate student employment forms

Please note:

  • If you are awarded additional fellowships, scholarships, bursaries and/or you secure outside employment, the financial commitment from the faculty and UOIT may be reconsidered.
  • The 10-hour rule policy applies to the TAship and RAship.
  • The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number used in the administration of various Canadian government programs. As an international student, you will need to obtain a SIN if you plan to accept a TAship, RAship or GRAship. The university has a legal obligation to request and record the SIN for those individuals who are paid through payroll. For information on how to apply for a SIN, please visit the International Student Services website.
  • The terms and conditions of employment for TAs and RAs at UOIT are governed by the collective agreement between UOIT and the Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC).