Skip to main content

Before you arrive

Stay connected

As your start date approaches, it is important to keep in contact with your graduate program director, graduate program assistant, research supervisor or faculty advisor. They can answer any specific questions you may have about your upcoming studies and help you prepare for a successful graduate student experience.

If you have not already done so, take some time to browse the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (SGPS) website. This website is your hub for all graduate-related information including important dates and announcements, upcoming events, scholarship and award information, downloadable forms and publications, thesis and dissertation information, important contacts and much more. You can also find information on policies and procedures in the Graduate Academic Calendar. It is highly recommended that you familiarize yourself with the university’s policies and procedures before you commence your program.

Lastly, stay connected by liking our Facebook page and following us on Twitter and Instagram.

Proof of citizenship

All incoming students, including students who have previously attended the University of Ontario Institute of Technology, are required to provide proof of citizenship before commencing their graduate studies.

Learn more

International students

All international students studying in Canada must have a valid study permit. Your study permit and your passport are your most important immigration documents. Before you attend any classes, ensure they are valid. Students coming from certain countries may also require an entry visa, known officially as a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). If your immediate family members (such as partner/spouse and children) are joining you, they too will require documentation to enter and/or study in Canada.

Visit the International Student Services website



There are several types of accommodations available to students, both on and off campus. It is advised that you begin searching for accommodations as early as possible, especially for the fall term.


Simcoe Village Residence and South Village Residence are managed by Campus Living Centres.

 Visit Residence website



If you’d prefer to live off campus, the university's Off-campus Living Service provides rental listings, student sublets and a roommate finder tool, general housing information and organizes the annual Housing Fair. Staff can support you in making informed decisions regarding off-campus living choices.




Paid parking is in effect on campus and only permitted in designated areas. You can view parking rates and purchase a parking pass for the north or downtown location online.

Visit parking website