Skip to main content

Grad course registration FAQs and contacts

Course registration

  • How do I register if I have a conditional offer of admission?

    You are not permitted to register if your conditional offer has not been cleared.

  • How do I determine which classes to take?

    Requirements for programs of study are listed in the program sections of the Graduate Academic Calendar. Students should become familiar with the degree requirements and plan their programs accordingly. Not all courses are offered in any one term or academic year. Elective offerings may vary from semester to semester. Students are advised to consult with their graduate program director, faculty advisor or research supervisor as part of the planning process. All courses in the student's program must be approved by the graduate program director.

    Students cannot take courses for credit in addition to the course requirements for their graduate program.

  • What is a continuance course?

    For administrative purposes, all graduate students in flat-fee programs are registered in a specific course known as a “continuance course”. This confirms that the student is registered in the graduate program until he or she has met all program requirements and is eligible to graduate. Unless the student has applied and been approved for a leave of absence from the program, he or she is automatically re-registered in this course at the beginning of each semester. Although the course code appears on the student's transcript, it is not graded or calculated into the student's GPA.

    Students registered in a fee-per-credit program do not have continuance courses. This includes students enrolled in the Faculty of Business and Information Technology and the Faculty of Education.

     To determine if your program is flat-fee or fee per-credit, please see the fees page.

    Continuance courses:


    ENGR 5000G


    MSCI 6999G


    SSCI 5999G

    Health Sciences

    MHSC 5000G

  • I'm trying to register for a course on MyCampus and I'm getting an error. What do I do?

    There are several reasons why you may be unable to add a course. For example, if you try to register for a course outside of your program, an undergraduate course or a course that must be approved prior to registration, you will receive an error. In these situations, you will need to use an Add/Drop form or Undergraduate Course Request form (if your program permits undergraduate level courses), and be granted approval. Note that you are not permitted to exceed the maximum allowable credits, which is dependent on your full-time or part-time status.

    For more information on errors, please see the registration errors page or contact your Graduate Admissions and Registration Officer.

  • Am I expected to be registered in the summer?

    Yes. Graduate students are expected to be registered year-round (with the exception of all graduate diplomas in nuclear engineering). There are three terms in the academic year: fall, winter and spring/ summer. Students in flat-fee programs are automatically registered and fees are applied to student accounts prior to each term.

  • How do I change my full-time or part-time status?