Skip to main content
Crisis Centre

Visiting scholars

The University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT) welcomes visiting scholars who are either faculty, researchers or students (primarily doctoral), and who are interested in conducting research and working at the university for a limited time under the supervision of a faculty member.

The visiting scholars program is managed by the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (SGPS).

Information for visiting scholars

  • General
    • Visiting scholars must be recommended by a faculty member who will act as the host supervisor.
    • Visiting scholars must be affiliated with a home university, and be able to provide a letter confirming their status at the institution (i.e. employment or enrolment letter).
    • Sponsored visiting scholars are required to submit proof of funding. The proof of funding may come from a university or government organization, and should be an official document on institutional letterhead, outlining the source of support. Personal bank statements will not be accepted as proof of funding.
    • Visit is temporary; start and end dates must be identified.
    • All visiting scholars require a letter of invitation and offer of employment (LMIA-exempt) number (if applicable), issued from SGPS.
  • Duties and responsibilities
    • Scholar must register for the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) upon arrival.
    • Scholar is responsible for all travel and accommodations (unless clearly stipulated).
    • Scholars are subject to UOIT's rules and regulations.
    • Visitors must comply with all federal and provincial laws, regulations, and university policies and procedures.
    • Scholars are bound by all applicable confidentiality and intellectual property rules.
    • Scholar must be fully qualified and have obtained the required approvals to perform the specified research.
  • Work permits
    • The visiting scholar is responsible for obtaining a temporary work permit for the duration of their stay if applicable.
    • For research-only visits less than 120 days, the visiting scholar does not require a temporary work permit or offer of employment number.
    • For visits less than 120 days where the visiting researcher will perform any duties other than research, a temporary work permit will be required.
    • For any visit exceeding 120 days, an offer of employment (LMIA-exempt) number will be issued from SGPS and a temporary work permit will be required. Please refer to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

Steps to hosting a visiting scholar