English language proficiency
All applicants are required to give evidence of their oral and written proficiency in English. Applicants who meet all admission requirements, including English proficiency, at the time of application will be given first priority consideration. We encourage applicants to register for an English language proficiency test prior to the application deadline. This requirement may be satisfied with one of the following criteria:
- Your mother tongue or first language is English.
- You have studied full-time for at least three years (or equivalent in part-time studies) in a university degree program where the language of instruction and examination was English, or you have completed a university degree program where the language of instruction and examination was English. UOIT may ask you to provide official verification of the aforementioned. Please note: The minimum three-year requirement does not include full-time enrolment in English as a Second Language (ESL) programs.
- You have successfully completed all levels of an approved ESL program that has been designed for university preparation. Information on whether a particular program is approved as satisfying the English proficiency requirement can be obtained from the Office of Graduate Studies.
- You have achieved the required proficiency as listed below on one of the tests in English language acceptable to UOIT. Test results dated more than 24 months prior to the date of the application for admission to UOIT will not be considered. An official test score is required.
Please note: If you take an approved English language proficiency test, its score shall prevail as the determining evidence of your English language proficiency.
Below are the minimum acceptable scores for English language proficiency tests at UOIT. Higher scores may be required by some programs - see individual program pages for details. It is also important to note that English language proficiency requirements may be higher for employment, including teaching assistant duties.
(Minimum sub-scores: Listening: 20; Reading: 20; Speaking: 19; Writing: 20)
* UOIT Graduate Studies only accepts IELTS scores in the Academic testing format. Scores from the IELTS General Training format will not be accepted.
Applicants must arrange for original test scores to be sent directly from the testing centre to the Office of Graduate Studies.
TOEFL Code: 7178
Please note: The computer-based TOEFL test has been replaced by the Internet-based TOEFL test.